nd str and n rastr t re 9.23
Mauritius, Singapore and Japan have India’s rank has improved to rank 130th in this
been top three countries the contributing report (from 142nd of 2015 report) among the
36.17 per cent, 20.03 per cent and 10.83 190 countries included in the report. Basically,
per cent respectively to the total FDI the report acknowledges only those reforms which
Equity Inflows of india during 2016- have been implemented in Mumbai and Delhi by
17. In terms of the Sectors receiving June 1 each year. This way, several major reform
FDI Equity inflows, Services (Finance, initiatives of India (after 1st June 2016) were not
Banking, Insurance etc.), Telecom, and accounted for in this year’s report and will enhance
Computer Software and Hardware have
India’s rank in the next report. This year’s report
been the top three sectors with a share of
did not include the ‘labour market regulaton’.
19.97 per cent, 12.80 per cent and 8.40
per cent respectively. Reforms for next year’s ranking: The
Government is committed to its goal of achieving
ease of doIng BusIness among top 50 rank in the next report (2018) and the
Government has implemented a host of reforms
Doing Business report, an annual publication to make it easier for businesses to start, operate and
(since 2004) of the World Bank Group ranks
exit. Following actions are on anvil in this regard:
the countries of the world on the basis of their
‘regulations that enhance business activity and (i) Implementing the Insolvency and
those that constrain it’. Popularly known as the Bankruptcy Code.
‘ease of doing business report’, it measures regulations (ii) Implementing GST nationwide by July
affecting 11 areas of the life of a business55: 1, 2017.
1. Starting a business, (iii) Implementing a single form for company
2. Dealing with construction permits, incorporation, name availability and
3. Getting electricity, director’s identification number and
4. Registering property, making it mandatory.
5. Getting credit, (iv) Merging registries to build a unified
6. Protecting minority investors, online data base of security interests over
7. Paying taxes,
8. Trading across borders, (v) Further streamlining processes related to
customs clearances aimed at faster and
9. Enforcing contracts,
10. Resolving insolvency, and
(vi) Introduction of paperless court
11. Labour market regulation.
procedures and systems including e-filing,
Doing Business 2017 report (released in e-payment, e-summons.
October 2016) recognizes India’s achievements
in implementing reforms in four of its ten (vii) Make the colour coded maps of Airports
indicators—Trading Across Borders, Getting Authority of India, Delhi Urban
Electricity, Enforcing Contracts and Paying Taxes. Arts Commission, Delhi Metro Rail
Corporation, Archaeological Survey of
55. Doing Business 2017, World Bank, Washington DC, India GIS enabled and integrate them
and Ministry of Commerce and Industry,
overnment of ndia, . elhi, ress elease, cto er with the Single Window System of
, . Municipal Corporation of Delhi.