was the crowning glory of the British Raj.
the capital in 1911.
The British Viceroy made Sir Edward Lutyens responsible for the
overall plan of Delhi. He was specifically directed to “harmonize
externally with the traditions of Indian art”. Thus, the Western architecture
with Oriental motif was realized with chajjas, jalis and chhattris, as
stylistic devices in the Viceroy’s House (now Rashtrapati Bhawan).
Herbert Baker added the imposing buildings of the South Block and the
North Block, which flank the Rashtrapati Bhawan.
Another Englishman called Robert Tor Tussell built the Connaught Place
and the Eastern and Western Courts.
St Martin’s Garrison Church marks the culmination of the British
architectural ventures in India. The Church is a huge monolith with a high
square tower and deeply sunken window ledges reminiscent of Dutch and
German architecture.
Lutyens’ Delhi The architects for New Delhi were Sir Edwin Lutyens, a
genius of the Arts and Crafts movement and his friend Sir Herbert Baker.
Lutyens, the greater architect of the two, was called upon in 1912 to
design a new capital for the British rulers of India.
Lutyens sketched out the flowing lines of New Delhi – the Rashtrapati
Bhavan (President’s House), the Parliament, the Raj Path from the
President’s house to the India Gate and the Canopy beyond for the statue
of King George. Offices of the British Resident, the North and the South
Blocks, flanking the side of the Rashtrapati Bhavan melted into the
buildings that housed the local administration.
It took nearly 20 years to construct these and the 112 bungalows, built
beyond the President’s house, with pillars and porticos. Truly it was the
most beautiful city planned by the British. The city was completed in
1931.
New Delhi’s systematic lay-out is the highest evolution of rational
principles. The Viceregal Palace (now Rashtrapati Bhavan) together with
the Secretariat blocks occupies the highest point – Raisina hill.
A great east-west axis – the Kingsway (now Raj Path) – proceeds from
Raisina to the Yamuna and the oldest city of all (Indraprastha). It is cut at
right angles by the other axis of the city – the Queensway (now Janpath).
At the heart of the city stood      a statue of the King-Emperor, while