made of burnt bricks set in gypsum and mortar. It must have served as a ritual
bathing site.
     The Great Granary found here is the largest building, measuring 150 feet
(length) × 50 feet (breadth). It is located within the citadel, and next to the
Great Bath. Its presence implies the existence of a centralised tax collecting
agency.
     There is also present an oblong multipillared assembly hall and a big
rectangular building which must have served administrative purposes.
     In the lower town a particular building, identified by Wheeler as the
temple, has a monumental entrance and twin stairways leading to a raised
platform on which was found one of the rare stone sculptures of a seated
figure.
     Within the lower town there are some barrack-like groups of single-
roomed tenements at Mohenjodaro which recall the rows of tenements beside
the granary at Harappa.
     Evidence of the use of horse comes from a superficial level. A fragment
of a woven cloth was also discovered.
Harappa It was the first Indus site to be discovered and excavated in 1921.
The Indus civilisation was originally called Harappan civilisation after this
site.
     The vast mounds at Harappa were first reported by Masson in 1826, and
visited by Cunningham in 1853 and 1873. Their rediscovery some sixty years
later led to the excavations between 1921 and 1934, under the direction of M
S Vats.
     The granaries here are located outside the citadel, but immediately next to
it in the west. They are a series of brick platforms forming the basis of two
rows of six granaries, each measuring 50 × 20 feet. These are the-nearest
buildings to the river and, thus, could easily be supplied by river transport.
     Working floors, consisting of rows of circular brick platforms, lay to the
south of the granaries and were meant for threshing grain.
     Barracks or rows of single-roomed tenements are situated just below the
walls of the citadel. They probably housed labourers.
Chanhudaro It was the only Indus city without a citadel. Like
Mohenjodaro, it was also flooded more than once.
     A small pot was discovered