Diary of National Events
January 1, 2018—December 31, 2018
• Assamese and Manipuri versions of Prime Minister’s Official Website launched.
• The Union Cabinet approves establishment of new AIIMS in Bilaspur (Himachal Pradesh)
under the Pradhan Mantri Swasthya Suraksha Yojana (PMSSY).
• The Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs, has approved the implementation of the Jal
Marg Vikas Project (JMVP) for capacity augmentation of navigation on National Waterway-
1 (NW-1) at a cost of ₹ 5,369.18 crore with the technical assistance and investment support
of the World Bank.
• The Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs, has given its approval to the construction,
operation and maintenance of 2-lane bi-directional Zojila Tunnel with Parallel Escape
(Egress) Tunnel excluding approaches on Srinagar-Leh section connecting NH-1A at km
95.00 and at km 118.00 in Jammu & Kashmir on Engineering, Procurement and Construction
• The Central Government notified the Companies (Amendment) Act, 2017 (Amendment Act).
• First PIO-Parliamentarian Conference held in New Delhi.
• The Cell for IPR Promotion and Management (CIPAM), Department of Industrial Policy and
Promotion (DIPP), in collaboration with ASSOCHAM and ERICSSON India, has launched a
one of its kind Intellectual Property (IP) Competition ‘IPrism’ for college and university
• The International Workshop on Disaster Resilient Infrastructure (IWDRI) inaugurated.
• In an endeavour to encourage mass participation and promote excellence in sports, the
Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports unveiled the Khelo India Anthem. Commencing on
January 31, 2018, the Khelo India School Games will be the first programme to mark the
beginning of Khelo India, a category defining, holistic sports development programme.
• The President of India, presented the Sangeet Natak Akademi’s Fellowships (Akademi Ratna)
and Sangeet Natak Akademi Awards (Akademi Puraskar) for 2016.
• Long Range Surface-to-Surface Ballistic Missile, Agni-5, was successfully flight tested for its
full range from Dr Abdul Kalam Island, Odisha. This was the fifth test of the Missile and the
third consecutive one from a canister on a road mobile launcher. All the five missions have
• Shri Om Prakash Rawat appointed as the Chief Election Commissioner.
• The ‘Bharat Parv’ event organized by the Government of India at the Red Fort, Delhi from
26th to 31st January, 2018 as part of the Republic Day 2018 celebrations.
• Finance Minister presents Economic Survey 2017-18 in Parliament. The Survey predicts 7-7.5
per cent growth in 2018-19.