756. She was over the crest, and before her another si- SOME IMPORTANT WORDS
lent void, greenclad valley expresses (1) replicate (V.) : to copy something exactly
(1) that she was on her way to her destination. (2) thesis (N.) : a long piece of writing completed by a
(2) her fascination for the scenic beauty. student as part of a university degree, based on
(3) the fact that she had lost her way. their own research
(4) her desire to put an end to her life. (3) dissertation (N.) : a long piece of writing on a par-
757. Which expression tells us that she relished her lone- ticular subject, especially one written for a univer-
liness ? sity degree
(1) Cold water that had the effect of quenching her
thirst. 761. What is research ?
(2) Cold water which made her more thirsty. (1) Research is the destruction of previous works
(3) She found it difficult to swallow the cold water. (2) Research is the attempt to limit the growth of
(4) It was like a splash of cold water. knowledge.
758. The only thing that made her oblivious of her sur- (3) Research is a process having no practical use.
roundings was the fact that (4) Research is the creation of new forms of knowl-
(1) she was depressed. edge.
(2) she was exhausted. 762. How many kinds of research are there ?
(3) she had got what she wanted. (1) There are different kinds of reasearch.
(4) her spirits were uplifted. (2) There is only one kind of research.
759. The expression and feeling like a woman who has (3) There are two different kinds of research.
died and passed beyond means (4) There are seven different kinds of research.
(1) her body was paralysed 763. Select the answer which best reflects the view ex-
(2) something within her had died pressed in the passage.
(3) she was completely lost (1) Researchers never apply for grants.
(4) she died in her sleep (2) Grants are not based on merit
760. By the end of the passage, do you think the woman (3) Documentation is important in research
kept journeying in the forest ? (4) Research can thrive without grants.
(1) She needed to stop there. 764. Choose the most appropriate answer from this pas-
(2) She had no idea where she was going. sage.
(3) She had sighted a settlement. (1) Academic publishing is meant only for profession-
(4) She had strayed away from her path. als.
Directions (761–765) : Read the following passage (2) Academic publishing is meant to benefit the gen-
carefully and choose the best answer to each question out eral public.
of the four alternatives.
(3) Academic publishing is meant only for academi-
(SSC CAPFs SI, CISF ASI & Delhi Police SI cians.
Exam, 21.06.2015 (Ist Sitting) TF No. 8037731)
(4) Academic publishing is meant only for experts.
Research is a detailed study of a subject undertaken
765. Why is research conducted ?
on a systematic basis in order to increase the stock of
knowledge, including knowledge of man, culture and soci- (1) Research is conducted in order to verify informa-
ety, and the use of this stock of knowledge to devise new tion.
applications. It is used to establish or confirm facts, reaf- (2) Research is conducted in order to minimize the
firm the results of previous work, solve new or existing result of previous works.
problems, or develop new theories. To test the validity of (3) Research is conducted in order to develop new
instruments, procedures, or experiments, research may problems.
replicate elements of prior projects, or the project as a (4) Research is conducted in order to destroy facts.
whole. The primary purposes of basic research are docu- Directions (766–770) : In the following five questions,
mentation, discovery, interpretation, or the research and read the passage carefully and choose the best answer to
development of methods and systems for the advancement each question out of the four alternatives.
of human knowledge. There are several forms of research: (SSC CAPFs SI, CISF ASI & Delhi Police SI
scientific, humanities, artistic, economic, social, business, Exam, 21.06.2015 IInd Sitting)
marketing, etc. A library is an organized collection of sources of infor-
Academic publishing describes system that is neces- mation and similar resources, made accessible to a defined
sary in order for academic scholars to review the work and community for reference or borrowing. It provides physical
make it available for a wider audience. Most academic work or digital access to material, and may be a physical build-
is published in book form. There is also a large body of ing or room, or a virtual space, or both. A library’s collec-
research that exists in either a thesis or dissertation form. tion can include books, periodicals, newspapers, manu-
Many researchers spent their time applying for grants for scripts, films, maps, e-books and other formats. Libraries
research funds. These grants are necessary not only for range in size from a few shelves of books to several million
researchers to carry out their research, but also as a source items.