SOME IMPORTANT WORDS 410. The word spurious means
panic-prone : used for suffering from fear, anxiety, (1) genuine (2) authentic
etc. (3) substantial (4) fake
nebulous : not clear; vague. 411. The author warns us against
hurling : shouting (1) not playing false with the citizens.
accusations : statements saying that you think a (2) dangers inherent in the cyber-world.
person is guilty of doing something (3) not using the cyber-world judiciously.
wrong, especially of committing a (4) not protecting the citizens from dangerous
inessentials : unnecessary 412. Parody means
talks (1) twist (2) jeopardize
morphed : changed smoothly from one image to (3) ridicule (4) imitate
another. 413. What is the opposite of wrong headed ?
spurious : false; fake (1) silly (2) sane
syndrome : a set of opinions or a way of behaving (3) insane (4) insensible
that is typical of a particular type of 414. The passage suggests different ways of keeping the
person, attitude or social problem. public busy with inessentials. Pick the odd one out.
parody : a piece of writing that copies the style (1) By blocking websites which are vaguely suspicious.
of somebody/something in order to (2) By blaming neighbouring countries across the
be amusing. border.
dissent : disagreement of opinions (3) By turning the attention of the people to violence
flexing : bending, moving, stretching, contract- in Assam.
ing, etc. in order to prepare for a phys- (4) By getting involved in a discourse on bilateral
ical activity relations.
wrong-headed : having or showing bad judgement 415. The following is a list of statements made by the author
of the above passage. Pick the odd one out.
sane : sensible and reasonable
(1) It is absurd to ban Twitter accounts that parody
406. According to the passage, the cyber-world is despatches from the Prime Minister’s Office.
(1) beyond the imagination of people. (2) ’Twitterers take these parodies for genuine
(2) outside the purview of common people. despatches from the PMO.
(3) To describ e such forms of humou r as
(3) not to be governed.
‘misrepresenting’ the PMO makes the PMO look
(4) ungovernable. more ridiculous.
407. The author is of the opinion that (4) The precedent for such action was set recently by
(1) the centre should start negotiations with Google, the chief minister of West Bengal.
Twitter and Facebook Directions (416-425) : You have two passages with 5
(2) the centre should help the citizens evacuate their questions in each passage. Read the passages carefully
city and choose the best answer to each question out of the
(3) the centre should not block the sites four alternatives.
(4) the centre should arrest the guilty (SSC Graduate Level Tier-I Exam. 21.04.2013)
408. Which of the following is closest to the meaning of
nebulous? The World Health Organisation is briefly called W.H.O.
It is a specialised agency of the United Nations and was
(1) confused (2) vague
established in 1948.
(3) iridescent (4) glowing International health workers can be seen working in
409. The author’s seriousness regarding the situation can all kinds of surroundings: in deserts, jungles, mountains,
best be described in the following sentences. Pick coconut groves, and rice fields. They help the sick to attain
the odd one out. health and the healthy to maintain their health.
(1) Our leaders should display their powers of This global health team assists the local health workers
censorship when needed. in stopping the spread of what are called communicable
(2) If this is the official idea of prompt action at a time diseases, like cholera. These diseases can spread from one
of crisis among communities, then Indians have country to another and so can be a threat to world health.
more reason to fear their protectors than the W.H.O. assists different national health authorities not
nebulous mischief-maker of the cyber-world. only in controlling diseases but also in preventing them
altogether. Total prevention of diseases is possible in a
(3) The politicians deflect attention from their own
number of ways. Everyone knows how people, particularly
children, are vaccinated against one disease or another.
(4) If a few morphed images and spurious texts can Similarly, most people are familiar with the spraying of
unsettle an entire nation, then there Is something houses with poisonous substances which kill disease-
deeply wrong with the nation. carrying insects.