when the youths, wearing full-mask helmets that cov- The close shave has again forced the glare on the air-
ered their faces, snatched the chain from behind and port already under the scanner for obstacles in its landing
sped away. approach path. The Airbus A320, carrying 89 passengers
and six crew members, had started taxiing when the birds,
“I was walking back towards the Keshtopur foot-
possibly attracted by the waste pile-up near the airport,
bridge, talking with a friend, when I felt a tug at my
crashed into the plane on the left around 8.05 am.
neck. Within moments, my chain was in the hands of the
pillion rider. We ran for a distance chasing them but they The pilot hit the brakes, bringing the plane to a screech-
soon took a sharp turn and we lost them”, Dey said. ing halt seconds before take-off. Sources said the plane
would have been running at a speed of about 40 nautical
She said she couldn’t take down the bike’s registration
miles (74 kmph) at the time.
number. “I can only recall that it was orange,” she said.
Flight 6E 385 was scheduled to take off at 8.10 am for
Dey dialled 100, the police helpline, from her cellphone.
Delhi and onward to Hyderabad, Bangalore and Visakhap-
She was directed to lodge a complaint with Bidhannagar
East police station.
“The left-hand side engine of the aircraft got damaged
On Tuesday morning, two bike-borne youths had
after it was hit by the birds. There were no casualties for-
snatched a chain from Papiya Roy Chowdhury near her
tunately and all passengers were taken out of the aircraft
home in AE block.
immediately after the pilot took it to the parking bay. The
The back-to-back snatchings have prompted township aircraft has been grounded and it will operate only after
residents to demand stricter policing. “Salt Lake is becom- the safety engineers of IndiGo give a fit-to-fly certificate,”
ing unsafe. Criminals are robbing residents at will. The an IndiGo source at Patna airport said.
police should take strict measures,” said Sreemoyee Sen, a
All passengers were accommodated on other IndiGo
resident of AB block.
flight:, the source added.
SOME IMPORTANT WORDS
SOME IMPORTANT WORDS
sped away : to move away quickly
fly into : hit against something
tug : a sudden hard pull
take off : ready to fly
pillion : a seat for a passenger behind the driver
slammed : push with a lot of force
of a bike
close-shave : narrow escape
divected : given order
lodge : to make a formal statement about some- glare : a long, angry look
thing to an authority scanner : a devise for examining something
at will : whenever/wherever you like obstacles : hindrance
screeching : a loud, high, unpleasant sound
381. “Home maker” is a synonym of
(1) construction worker. (2) servant. halt : stop
(3) housekeeper. (4) housewife. scheduled : fixed (according to the time-table)
382. The Homemaker stayed in casualities : victims
(1) United States of America. bay : a marked section of ground, inside/out-
(2) Bangalore. side a building (for parking/storing things)
(3) Salt Lake. grounded : to prevent an aircraft from taking off
383. The thieves were chased by 386. Close shave means
(1) Papiya Roy Chowdhury. (1) emergency (2) danger
(2) Sujata Dey and her friend. (3) a narrow escape (4) to shave carefully
(3) Sujata Dey alone. 387. Why did the birds fly into the plane?
(4) The Police. (1) As the birds were attracted to the plane.
384. Why could Sujata Dey not identify the thieves ? (2) As it was taking off slowly.
(1) Because they wore full mask helmets. (3) As the captain slammed the brakes.
(2) Because they sped away fast. (4) As the birds were attracted to the waste pile-up
near the airport.
(3) Because they were on a bike.
388. The passengers were allowed to get off the plane
(4) Because they took a sharp turn.
(1) after the plane was taken to the parking bay.
385. Who told Sujata Dey to lodge a police complaint?
(1) Local residents. (2) The police.
(3) after many hours.
(3) Her friend. (4) Papiya Roy Chowdhury.
(4) the next day.
389. The Airbus is a
A flock of birds flew into an IndiGo Airbus about to take
off at Patna this morning and damaged the plane’s engine (1) a large bus (2) small plane
before the captain slammed the emergency brakes. (3) large plane (4) a small bus