136. (3) close shave : a situation in failed to achieve the target. 154. (4) fell back : to move or turn
which you only just manage to The best option is dissipated back
avoid an accident, etc. 146. (3) storm in a tea cup : a lot of l Finally, the army at the LOC had
l The car passed so close to us; it anger or worry about something to fall back.
was really a close shave. that is not important The best option is turned back.
The best option is narrow escape. l The argument at the office turned 155. (2) ended in a fiasco : a total fail-
137. (2) fits and starts : irregularly into a storm in a tea cup. ure
l A sincere student works regu- The best option is commotion (1) fiasco : something that does not
larly, not by fits and starts. over a trivial matter. succeed
The best option is not regular- 147. (4) set their face against : to be l The party ended in a fiasco.
ly. determined to oppose some- The best option is was an utter
138. (3) shook in their shoes : to be body/something failure.
very frightened/nervous l Mother had set her face against
156. (1) cut him off, without a shil-
l She shook in her shoes after my having music lessons with ling : disinherit; to refuse to let
the accident. this teacher in the city. somebody receive any of your
The best option is trembled with The best option is opposed property after you have died.
l Mr. James cut their son off with-
139. (1) in high spirits : cheerful and 148. (4) currying favour with : to try to out a shilling.
full of hope and enthusiasm get somebody to like or support
The best option is disinherited
l When she came to know that she by praising or helping him a lot
would receive an award that (1) ingratiating : trying too hard to
157. (4) fell through : not to be com-
evening, she was in high spirits. please somebody
pleted, or not to happen
The best option is full of hope l The government has promised
l Hope our plans don’t fall
and enthusiasm. lower taxes in an attempt to cur-
140. (1) sharp practice : clever but ry favour with the voters.
possibly dishonest The best option is failed
The best option is ingratiating
l The firm is known for its sharp itself with. 158. (1) too many irons in the fire :
practices, so I would rather not to be involved in several activi-
149. (1) to mince matters : to mix
deal with it. ties/areas of business at the
The best option is dishonest same time, hoping that at least
l One must not mince matters; one
means. one will be successful
must say what one means.
141. (2) in the good books : in favour l It is better if you don’t have too
The best option is to confuse
with many irons in the fire.
l I clean the bathroom yesterday. The best option is is engaged in
150. (3) take for granted : to pre-sup-
So, I’m in mum’s good books. too many enterprises at the
pose as certainly true; to accept
The best option is in favour with. same time.
142. (1) fed up : bored or unhappy, 159. (3) let the cat out of the bag : to
l We take so many things for
especially with a situation that tell a secret carelessly or by mis-
granted in our houses.
has continued for too long take
The best option is to accept
l I’m fed up with her; she always l Mom let cat out of the bag and
keeps me waiting. told us that Akhil was engaged.
151. (4) high and dry : to leave some-
The best option is annoyed The best option is told her about
143. (3) a while elephant : a costly it unintentionally.
l They walked out of the party,
but useless possession 160. (3) read between the lines : find
leaving me high and dry.
l The new office block has become more meanings than the words
The best option is neglected. appear to express
an expensive white elephant.
152. (3) turned his head : to make a
The best option is a costly but l Reading between the lines of
person feel too proud in a way
useless possession. the letter, she realised that her
that other people find annoying friend was in great trouble.
144. (2) ins and outs : all the details,
especially the complicated/diffi- l Sudden prosperity has turned The best option is find more
cult ones his head. meaning than the words appear
l Jatin knows the ins and outs of The best option is changed him to express.
repairing computers. completely. 161. (4) threw down the glove : gave
The best option is full details. 153. (1) turns up her nose at : to re- a challenge
145. (1) went to the winds : to be ject/dismiss scornfully l Rajesh threw down the glove
dissipated; to be utterly lost l He turned his nose up at my to his opponents.
l All his hard work and sincerity offer of soup. The best option is gave a chal-
went to the winds, when he The best option is despises lenge.