l My friend, Rashi, died in har- The best option is appear sud- l They vowed to fight the new leg-
ness. denly. islation tooth and nail.
The best option is still in ser- 95. (4) a bolt from the blue : an The best option is to oppose
vice. event or a piece of news which resolutely.
88. (4) to keep under wraps : being is sudden and unexpected; a 103. (2) at one’s wit’s end : to get
kept secret until sometime in the complete surprise puzzled
future l She seemed to be very involved l I’ve tried every possible source
l We kept the plan under wraps in her job, so her resignation but without success, and now I’m
until after the election. came as a bolt from the blue. at my wit’s end.
The best option is secret. The best option is something The best option is to be puzzled.
89. (1) like a phoenix : to be power- unexpected and unpleasant. 104. (3) turned a deaf ear : ignored/
ful or successful again 96. (2) made my flesh creep : made refused to listen
a magic bird that lives for sever- me feel afraid or full of disgust l Sheela turned a deaf ear to our
al hundred years before burn- l The story of the killings made pleadings.
ing itself and then being born my flesh creep. The best option is disregarded.
again from its ashes The best option is horrified me. 105. (3) to be always at his beck and
l The Indian Industry has risen
97. (4) burnt his boats : to do some- call : always ready to obey some-
like a phoenix after Indepen-
thing that makes it impossible to body’s orders
return to the previous situation l There were a dozen of maids
The best option is with a new later
life. and waiters at our beck and
(1) retreat : to move away/back call.
90. (1) a sore point with : a subject
l Turning down one job before you The best option is at his dispos-
that makes you feel angry or
have another leads to burning al.
upset when it is mentioned
your boats. 106. (4) in the long run : concerning
sore : annoyed ; upset and angry
The best option is left no means a longer period in the future
l I tried not to make any reference
of retreat. l He realized that in the long run,
to his drinking habits. I know it’s
a sore point with his wife at the 98. (3) cannot hold a candle : is not their argument wouldn’t seem so
moment. so good as useless.
The best option is something l This hotel can’t hold a candle The best option is ultimately.
which hurts. to the palace. 107. (3) in the good books : used for
91. (1) on the verge of : very near to The best option is cannot be saying that somebody is pleased
the moment when somebody compared to. with you
does something or something 99. (2) brought up : raise; to care l I cleaned the bathroom yester-
happens for a child, teaching him or her day. So, I’m in mum’s good
(1) brink : in a very new, danger- how to behave; to mention a sub- books.
ous or existing situation; the ex- ject or start to talk about it The best option is in favour with
treme edge of land. l We were having a pleasant chat the boss.
(2) outset : at/from the beginning until someone brought up poli- 108. (2) by leaps and bounds : rapid-
of tics. ly; very quickly
l Sara was on the verge of tears The best option is introduced for l India is progressing by leaps and
when she heard the news. discussion. bounds.
The best option is on the brink 100. (1) cut no ice with me : to have The best option is very quickly
of. no influence or effect 109. (3) the pros and cons : argu-
92. (3) of no avail : of little or no l I don’t care who you are, It cuts ments or considerations for and
use no ice with me. against something; advantages
l Everything I did to help her was The best option is had no influ- and disadvantages
of no avail. ence on me. l We will discuss all the pros and
The best option is useless. 101. (4) the green-eyed monster : cons before we decide to add a
93. (1) leaps and bounds : very used as a way of talking about new wing to the library.
quickly; in large amounts jealousy The best option is consider all
l India is progressing by leaps and l Do you think his criticisms for facts.
bounds. Ramesh are valid or is it just a 110. (4) got the sack : dismissed from
The best option is rapidly. case of a green-eyed monster ? a job
94. (1) out of thin air : from nowhere The best option is Jealousy l Ravi got the sack today. He is
or nothing, as if by magic 102. (2) to fight tooth and nail : to always late.
l Suddenly, out of thin air, the fight in a determined way for The best option is was dismissed
messenger appeared. what you want from.