in the sentence. Cho ose the 498. He gave vent to his pleasure 505. The sailors nailed their colours
alternative that best expresses the with a smile. to their mast.
meaning of the Idiom/Phrase. (1) shared (2) allowed (1) put up a colourful mast
(SSC Multi-Tasking (Non-Tech.) Staff (3) expressed (4) enjoyed (2) refused to climb down
Exam. 23.02.2014, IInd Sitting) Directions (499-503) : In the (3) took over the ship
491. I have recently changed my job following questions, four alternatives (4) decided to abandon the ship
and I am going to have teething are given for the Idiom/Phrase in bold 506. We had better batten down the
problems. in the sentence, Choose the alternative hatches. The weather is
(1) difficulties at the start which best expresses the meaning of unpredictable.
(2) difficulties at the end the Idiom/Phrase.
(1) stay in-door
(SSC CGL Tier-I
(3) difficulties all the time (2) prepare for a difficult
(4) problem with my teeth situation
499. If you read between the lines,
492. The soldiers fought tooth and (3) go somewhere safe
you will appreciate what he
nail to save their country. (4) face the obstacles
(1) using unfair means 507. It is difficult to have a sensible
(1) can read leaving lines in
(2) with strength and fury between discussion with her as she flies
(3) with weapons (2) can read a lot quicker off at a tangent.
(4) as best as they could (3) know what the writer thinks (1) gets carried away
493. Chetan is very upset because (4) can read and write in the (2) starts discussing something
the new manager always picks language irrelevant
on him. 500. to throw dust in one’s eyes. (3) loses her temper easily
(1) advises (1) to harm someone (4) does not really understand
(2) warns severely (2) to deceive anything
(3) selects (3) to show false things 508. The students found it hard to go
(4) treats badly (4) to make blind at equal speed with the
Directions (494-498) : In the 501. He is a cut above all the other professor.
following questions, four alternatives boys in the group. (1) get away from
are given for the Idiom/ Phrase in (1) quite taller than (2) put up with
bold. Choose the alternative which (2) more active than (3) keep up with
best expresses the meaning of the (3) a little rougher than (4) race against
Idiom/Phrase. (4) rather superior to Directions (509-513) : In the
(SSC CGL Tier-I following questions, four alternatives
502. As soon as the police arrived, the
Re-Exam–2013, 27.04.2014) are given for the Idiom/Phrase in bold
bank robbers showed the white
494. After his business failed, he had flag. in the sentence. Choose the alternative
to work very hard to keep the (1) calmly left the scene which best expresses the meaning of
wolf from the door. the Idiom/Phrase.
(1) keep away extreme poverty (3) ran away (SSC CAPFs SI, CISF ASI & Delhi
(2) earn an honest living (4) were incensed Police SI Exam. 22.06.2014)
(3) regain his lost position 503. to cut one short. 509. Let us bury the hatchet and be
(4) defend from enemies (1) to love one friends again.
495. The menti on of her former (2) to insult one (1) hide the axe
husband’s name still makes Rita (3) to criticise one (2) keep the secret
foam at the mouth. (4) to interrupt one (3) forget the quarrels
(1) angry Directions (504–508) : In the (4) work together
(2) vomit following questions, four alternatives 510. The thief managed to escape by
(3) shy are given for the Idiom/Phrase in bold the skin of his teeth.
(4) fall sick in the sentence. Choose the alternative (1) by running very fast
496. We must husband our which best expresses the meaning of (2) by getting help from his
resources against hard times. the Idiom/Phrase as your answer. friend
(1) save (2) support (SSC CAPFs SI, CISF ASI & Delhi Police (3) by the narrowest margin
(3) sing (4) concede SI Exam. 22.06.2014)
(4) by disguising himself
497. The newly elected Chief Minister 504. We must work with all our
511. William left us with a heart-
has promised to bring about might and main, otherwise we
wrenching swan song.
changes in the state. cannot succeed.
(1) last cry
(1) produce (1) full force
(2) last gift
(2) make (2) complete trust
(3) last prayer
(3) carry (3) exceptional skill
(4) last performance
(4) cause to happen (4) full unity