TRANSFORMATION OF SENTENCES (ACTIVE/PASSIVE)
90. This surface feels smooth. (1) The area was engulfed in 99. The news has been brought to us
(1) This surface is felt smooth smoke and flames and made by him.
(2) This surface is smooth when rescue operations difficult. (1) He brought us the news.
it is felt (2) The area was engulfed in (2) He has brought us the news.
(3) This surface when felt is smoke and flames making res- (3) He was brought the news to
smooth cue operations difficult. us.
(4) This surface is smooth as felt (3) The area had been engulfed (4) We brought the news to him.
in smoke and flames and 100.Not a word was spoken by the
Directions (91-95) : In the fol-
lowing questions, a sentence has been made rescue operations diffi- criminal in self-defence.
given in Active/Passive Voice. Out of cult. (1) The criminal spoke not a word
the four alternatives suggested below, (4) The area was engulfed in in self-defence.
select the one which best expresses smoke and flames and rescue (2) The criminal in self-defence
the same sentence in Passive/Active operations were made diffi- spoke no word.
Voice. cult. (3) The criminal did not speak a
(SSC Tax Assistant (Income Tax & Directions (96–100) : In the fol- word in self-defence.
Central Excise) Exam. 29.03.2009) lowing questions, a sentence has been (4) The criminal spoke in self-
91. He asked me to finish the work given in Active Voice/Passive Voice, defence not a word.
in time. Out of the four alternatives suggest- Directions (101–105) : In the fol-
(1) I was asked that I should fin- ed, select the one which best expresses lowing questions, a sentence has been
ish the work in time. the same sentence in Passive/Active given in Active Voice/Passive Voice,
Voice. Out of the four alternatives suggest-
(2) He asked me that I should fin-
(SSC Combined Graduate Level Tier-I ed, select the one which best expresses
ish the work in time.
Exam. 16.05.2010 (Ist Sitting) the same sentence in Passive/Active
(3) I was asked to finish the work
in time. 96. They have made a film based on
(SSC Combined Graduate Level Tier-I
(4) I was asked to finish the work this novel.
Exam. 16.05.2010 (IInd Sitting)
in time by him. (1) A film was based on this nov-
101. The agent had disclosed the se-
92. Quinine tastes bitter. el and made.
cret before it was evening.
(1) Quinine is bitter when it is (2) A film have been made based (1) The secret was disclosed by
tasted. on this novel. the agent befo re it was
(2) Quinine is bitter tasted (3) A film, based on this novel, evening.
(3) The taste of quinine is bitter. has been made (2) The secret had disclosed by
(4) Quinine is tasted bitter. (4) A film has been based and the agent before it had been
made on this novel. evening.
93. The vintage cars hold a special
97. The people couldn’t move me to (3) The secret had been disclosed
place in the hearts of their own-
the hospital and the doctor oper- by the agent before it was
ated on me at home. evening.
(1) A special place in the hearts
(1) I couldn’t be moved to the (4) The secret was disclosed by
of the vintage car owners is
hospital and was operated on the agent before it had been
held by them.
at home by the doctor. evening.
(2) A special place was held by
(2) I couldn’t be moved to the hos- 102. Surely the lost child must have
the vintage cars in the hearts
pital and I had to be operated been found by now.
of their owners.
on at home. (1) Surely must have found the
(3) A special place is held by the
lost child by now.
vintage cars in the hearts of (3) I couldn’t be moved to the
hospital and I was operated (2) Surely someone must have
found the lost child by now.
(4) A special place is being held at home by the doctor.
(3) Surely now must have found
by the vintage cars in the (4) I couldn’t be moved to the hos-
the lost child
hearts of their owners. pital by the people and oper-
(4) Now must have found the lost
94. What amused you? ated on at home.
(1) What you are made to amuse 98. Why did he deprive you of the
103. We serve hot meals till 10:30;-
by? membership ?
guests can order coffee and
(2) By what are you being (1) Why you were deprived of the sandwiches up to 11:30.
amused? membership ? (1) Hot meals are serving till
(3) By what were you amused? (2) Why were you deprived of his 10.30 ; coffee and sand wich-
(4) By what have you been membership by him ? es are ordering by guests till
amused? (3) Why was he deprived of his 11.30.
95. Smoke and flames engulfed the membership (2) Hot meals are being served till
area and made rescue operations (4) Why were you deprived of 10:30 ; coffee and sandwiches
difficult. your membership by him ? are being ordered till 11:30.