TRANSFORMATION OF SENTENCES (ACTIVE/PASSIVE)
(3) Two million deaths are Out of the four alternatives suggest- Directions (71-75) : In the fol-
being caused by cigarette ed, select the one which best expresses lowing questions, the sentences have
smoking annually in the in- the same sentence in Passive/Active been given in Active/Passive voice.
dustrial states. Voice. From the given alternatives, choose the
(4) Two million deaths have (SSC Section Officer (Commercial Audit) one which best expresses the given
been caused annually by cig- Exam. 30.09.2007 (IInd Sitting) sentence in Passive/Active voice.
arette smoking in the indus- 66. Has the price rise affected all the
(SSC Tax Assistant (Income Tax &
trial states. people? Central Excise) Exam. 25.11.2007)
Directions (61–65) : In the fol- (1) Have all the people been af- 71. The accountant took the money
lowing questions, a sentence has been fected by the price-rise ? from the customer.
given in Active/Passive Voice. Out of (2) Are all the people being affect- (1) The money is taken from the
the four alternatives suggested below, ed by the price-rise ? customer by the accountant.
select the one which best expresses (3) Had all the people being af- (2) The money was taken from the
the same sentence in Passive/Active fected by the price-rise ? customer by the accountant.
Voice. (4) Are all the people affected by (3) The customer was taken the
(SSC Section Officer (Audit) the price-rise ? money by the accountant.
Exam. 10.12.2006) (4) The money had been taken
67. They pick the flowers, fresh, ev-
61. You surprise me. ery morning. from the customer by the ac-
(1) I am to be surprised (1) The Fresh flowers are picked countant.
(2) You are surprised every morning by them. 72. The peon refused him admittance.
(3) I am surprised (2) The flowers are fresh and (1) He was refused admittance by
(4) Me is surprised pi cked every morning by the peon.
them. (2) Admittance is refused to him
62. The boys killed the snake with a
(3) The flowers are picked fresh by the peon.
every morning by them. (3) Admittance was refused by
(1) The snake was killed by the
(4) The picked flowers are fresh the peon to him.
boys with a stick.
every morning by them. (4) Admittance is refused him by
(2) A stick was killed by the boys
with a snake. 68. Everyone looked up to him. the peon.
(3) A snake with a stick was (1) He was looked up to by ev- 73. The reporter was interviewing the
eryone. political leaders.
killed by the boys.
(2) He was looked up by every- (1) The political leaders were be-
(4) A snake is killed by the boys
one. ing interviewed by the report-
with a stick.
(3) He is looked up by everyone. er.
63. Let me do this.
(4) He looks up by everyone. (2) The political leaders was be-
(1) Let us do this.
69. Tell him to get out of our house. ing interviewed by the report-
(2) This be done by me. er.
(1) He is told to get out of our
(3) Let this be done by me. house. (3) The political leaders are be-
(4) Let do this. (2) Let him be told to get out of ing interviewed by the report-
64. The tiger caught a fox. our house. er.
(1) A fox has been caught by the (3) He might be told to get out of (4) The political leader is being
tiger. our house. interviewed by the reporter.
(2) A fox was caught by the tiger. (4) He should be told that he may 74. The beavers have built a perfect
(3) A fox is caught by the tiger. get out of our house. dam across the stream
(4) A fox had been caught by the 70. Those who worked hard seldom (1) A perfect dam had been built
tiger. obtained good marks. by the beavers across the
(1) Good marks were seldom be- stream.
65. Someone has lit the fire.
ing obtained by those who (2) A perfect dam has been built
(1) The fire was lit by someone.
worked hard. by the beavers across the
(2) You are requested to light the stream.
(2) Good marks are seldom ob-
fire by someone.
tained by those who worked (3) A perfect dam have been built
(3) The fire has been lit by some- hard. by the beavers across the
one. (3) Seldom had good marks been stream.
(4) The fire had been lit by some- obtained by those who worked (4) A perfect dam was being built
one. hard. by the beavers across the
Directions (66-70) : In the fol- (4) Good marks were seldom ob- stream.
lowing questions a sentence has been tained by those who worked 75. You should follow all the instruc-
given in Active Voice/Passive Voice. hard. tions carefully.