TRANSFORMATION OF SENTENCES (ACTIVE/PASSIVE)
Directions (46-50) : In the fol- (4) I was told by somebody that alternatives suggested below, select
lowing questions, a sentence has been there had been an explosion the one which best expresses the same
given in Active Voice. Out of the four in the Town Hall. sentence in Passive Voice.
alternatives suggested, select the one Directions (51–55) : In the fol- (SSC Section Officer (Commercial Audit)
which best expresses the same sen- lowing questions, a sentence has been Exam. 26.11.2006 (IInd Sitting)
tence in Passive Voice. given in Active/Passive voice. Out of 56. Why haven’t they allowed you to
(SSC Statistical Investigators the four alternatives suggested, select go?
Grade-IV Exam. 13.08.2006) the one which best expresses the same (1) Why you haven’t been allowed
46. Mr. Sen asked him a question. sentence in Passive/Active voice. to go?
(1) He was asked a question Mr. (SSC Tax Assistant (Income Tax &
(2) Why haven’t you been allowed
Sen. Central Excise) Exam. 12.11.2006) to go?
(2) He was asked a question to 51. Circumstances will oblige me to go. (3) Why were you not allowed to
Mr. Sen. (1) I will oblige the circumstanc- go?
(3) He was asked a question by es and go. (4) Why you were not allowed to
Mr. Sen. (2) I shall be obliged to go by the go?
(4) A question was being asked circumstances.
57. I expected him to give us finan-
by Mr. Sen. (3) Under the circumstances, I cial aid.
47. People speak English all over the should go.
(1) It was expected of him to give
world. (4) I would be obliged by the cir- us financial aid.
(1) English is spoken all over the cumstances to go. (2) Let it be expected that he
world. 52. We waste much time on trifles. would give us finacial aid.
(2) English was spoken all over (1) Much time was wasted on tri- (3) It was expected by me that
the world. fles. he will give us financial aid.
(3) English was spoken by peo- (2) Much time will be wasted on (4) He may be expected to give
ple. trifles. us financial aid.
(4) English is spoken by people. (3) Much time is wasted by us on 58. Tobacco manufacturers are mak-
48. The teacher punished the boys trifles. ing considerable efforts to gain
who had not done their home (4) Much time is wasted on tri- new clients.
work. fles. (1) Considerable efforts are be-
(1) The boys who had not done 53. Mohan gave the beggar an old ing made by tobacco manu-
their homework had been shirt. facturers to gain new clients.
punished by their teacher. (1) An old shirt was given to Mo- (2) Considerable efforts being
(2) The boys were punished by han by the beggar. made by tobacco manufactur-
their teacher who had not (2) An old shirt was given to the ers to gain new clients.
done their homework. beggar by Mohan. (3) Considerable efforts are made
(3) The boys who had not done (3) The beggar was gave an old by tobacco manufacturers to
their homework were pun- shirt by Mohan. gain new clients.
ished by the teacher. (4) An old shirt was gave to the (4) To gain new clients by tobac-
(4) The boys who had not done beggar by Mohan. co manufacturers consider-
their homework were being able efforts are being made.
54. They have made him a king.
punished by the teacher.
(1) A king has been made by him. 59. Has anybody done all the work?
49. The Principal has granted him a (1) Have all the work been done
(2) He was made a king by them.
scholarship. by somebody?
(3) They have been made kings
(1) A scholarship has granted to (2) Somebody has done all the
him by the Principal. work.
(4) He has been made a king by
(2) He has been granted a schol- (3) The work has been done by
arship by the Principal. them.
55. Who taught you English ? somebody.
(3) He has granted a scholarship (4) Has all the work been done
by the Principal. (1) By whom English was taught
to you ? by somebody?
(4) A scholarship was granted to
(2) By whom you were taught 60. Cigarette smoking causes two
him by the Principal.
English ? million deaths annually in the in-
50. Somebody told me that there had dustrial states.
been an explosion in the Town Hall. (3) By whom was English taught
to you ? (1) Cigarette smoking has been
(1) I was told by somebody about causing two million deaths
the explosion in the Town Hall. (4) By whom are you taught En-
annually in the industrial
(2) I was told about the explosion glish ?
in the Town Hall. Directions (56-60) : In the follow-
(2) Two million deaths arc caused
(3) I was informed that there was ing questions, a sentence has been
annually by cigarette smoking
an explosion in the Town Hall. given in Active Voice. Out of the four
in the industrial states.