TRANSFORMATION OF SENTENCES (ACTIVE/PASSIVE)
TRANSFORMATION OF SENTENCES
Directions (1-5) : In these ques- (4) Let the poll results be looked (1) A scholarship has granted to
tions, the sentences have been given at–is hope inspired by them ? him by the Principal.
in Active/ Passive Voice. From the giv- 5. It is your duty to make tea at elev- (2) He has been granted a schol-
en alternatives, choose the one which en O"clock. arship by the Principal.
best expresses the given sentence in (3) He has granted a scholarship
(1) You are asked to make tea at
Passive/Active Voice. by the Principal.
(SSC Section Officer (Audit) Exam.1997) (2) Your are required to make tea (4) A scholarship was granted to
1. They first sun-dried the garbage at eleven O"clock. him by the Principal.
for one to three days to bring (3) You are supposed to make tea 10. Before festivals the shops are
down the moisture level. at eleven O"clock. thronged with men, women and
(1) The mo isture level was (4) Tea is to be made by you at children making various purchas-
brought down by sun-drying es.
the garbage for one to three (1) During festivals people throng
Directions (6-10) : A sentence
days. the shops.
has been given in Active/Passive Voice.
(2) One to three days of sun-dry- (2) Men, women and children
Out of the four alternatives suggested
ing brought down the mois- throng the shops before fes-
below, select the one which best ex-
ture level of the garbage. tivals making various pur-
presses the same sentence in Passive/
(3) The moisture level of the gar- Active Voice. chases.
bage came down when it was (SSC Section Officer (Audit) (3) Men, women and children
sun-dried for one to three make purchases during festi-
6. He was congratulated by his
(4) The garbage was first sun- (4) The shops are througed by
teacher on his brilliant success in
dried for one to three days to people making purchases.
the recent examination.
bring down the moisture lev- Directions (11-15) : In the foll-
(1) His teacher congratulated him
el. woing questions, a sentence has been
on his brilliant success in the
2. Women like men to flatter them. given in Active Voice. Out of the four
(1) Men are liked by women to alternatives suggested, select the one
(2) His teacher congratulated him which best expresses the same sen-
flatter them. for his success in the exami-
(2) Women like to be flattered by tence in Passive Voice.
men. (SSC Section Officer (Audit)
(3) His teacher congratulated him
(3) Women like that men should Exam. 16.11.2003)
on his success.
flatter them. 11. The smugglers did not realise that
(4) His teacher congratulated
(4) Women are liked to be flat- their conversation was being re-
tered by men. corded.
7. People speak English all over the
3. What one must do, one must (1) The smugglers did not realise
that someone was recording
do properly. (1) English is spoken all over the their conversation.
(1) What must be done, must be world.
done properly. (2) Someone did not realise that
(2) English was spoken all over the smugglers were recording
(2) It must be done properly what the world. their conversation.
one must do. (3) English was spoken by peo- (3) Conversation was recorded
(3) It must be done what one ple. when the smugglers did not
must do properly. (4) English is spoken by people. realise.
(4) One must do properly what 8. Who gave you permission to en- (4) The smugglers recorded their
has to be done. ter? conversation without realis-
4. Look at the poll results–do they (1) By whom were you given per- ing.
inspire hope ? mission to enter?
12. The principal kept the staff mem-
(1) Let the poll results be looked– (2) By whom was you given per- bers waiting
is hope inspired by them ? mission to enter?
(1) The staff members are kept
(2) Let the poll results be looked (3) By whom you were given per- waiting for the principal.
at–has hope been inspired by mission to enter?
(2) The staff members were kept
them ? (4) By whom given you permission waiting by the principal.
(3) Let the poll results be looked to enter?
(3) The staff members were wait-
at–is hope being inspired by 9. The Principal has granted him a ing for the principal.
them ? scholarship.