IMPROVEMENT OF SENTENCES
900. (1) No improvement. 923. (2) No improvement
901. (4) hang (Verb) : to kill somebody as per law. When we use as well as, Verb agrees according to
hang ® hanged (Past) ® hanged (Past Participle) the number/person of the first subject.
hang (V.) : to attach something, or to be attached, at 924. (2) As if is followed by Plural Verb (Past).
the top so that the lower part is free/loose
hang ® hung (Past) ® hung (Past Part.) Hence, were is the right usage.
Here, hanged is the right usage. 925. (4) In respect of : connecting
902. (3) The sentence implies a Present Situation, so, ago- l A writ was served on the firm in respect of their
nises me most (Simple Present Tense) is the right unpaid bill.
usage. In respect of age, he is my senior is the right sen-
903. (2) Here, been should follow haven’t. past event is tence.
implied and the same is likely to happen in future too.
926. (1) Here, Past Simple i.e. completed is the right usage.
l He has never cheated and can never cheat a person.
Hence, have not been and can never be is the right 927. (3) No improvement
usage. 928. (2) Here, Subject should come. Hence, It being a wet
904. (4) World - famous : known all over the world. day/As it was is the right usage.
Hence, a world-famous museum is the right usage. 929. (1) Here, big new house is the right usage.
905. (2) in (Prep.) : after a particular length of time ; dur- 930. (3) No improvement
ing a period of time. 931. (3) Here, Future simple i.e., Either Kiran or Mala
Hence, rise in an hour is the right usage. will is the right usage.
l It will be ready in a week’s time. 932. (1) Besides = in addition to;
l I am getting forgetful in my old age. Beside = by the side of
906. (4) desired result : having a wishful result Hence, standing beside the school–house poster is
Hence, have desired results is the right usage. the right usage.
907. (3) Date from/back to : to have existed since a par- 933. (1) Here, terrorism (Abstract Noun) of any degree
ticular time in the past. or kind is the right usage.
Dated : old fashioned. 934. (3) Extension (Noun) : an extra period of time.
Here, dating back to is the right usage. l He has been granted an extension of the contract for
908. (3) Structure of the sentence : another year.
Let + Object + to + V1 (Plural). Here, an extension is the right usage
Hence, ‘Let the show begin’ is the right usage. 935. (3) Through thick and thin : even when there are
909. (2) No improvement problems or difficulties
910. (2) For comparison between two things Comparative Here, through thick and thin is the right usage
Degree should be used. 936. (2) Lately : recently; in the recent past.
Hence, better is the right usage.
Late : after the expected or usual time.
911. (3) How many is followed by Plural Noun/Pronoun.
Here, late to school is the right usage.
Hence, countries are there in is the right usage.
937. (3) Manly (Adjective) : having the qualities or physi-
912. (2) To show period of time for should be used.
cal features that are expected in a man.
Hence, for (Prep.) is the right usage.
Here, manly is the right usage.
913. (2) Must be is followed by V3 i.e. taken.
938. (2) Here, Adjective i.e., very co–operative is the right
Hence, taken is the right usage.
914. (2) Course : a direction or route followed by a ship or
an aircraft or a river. 939. (1) This friend of mine : One of the friends.
Here, course is the right usage. Here, this friend of mine is the right usage
915. (4) No improvement 940. (4) No improvement
916. (3) In spite of being ill/his illness, he came to work 941. (3) Here, Future Simple i.e., Either Kiran or Mala
is the right sentence. will is the right usage.
917. (2) Here, Past Simple i.e. realized is the right usage. 942. (1) besides (Prep.) : in addition to
918. (3) Here, are born deaf every is the right usage. beside (Prep.) : by the side of
Bear Þ Bore Þ Born (Past Participle) Hence, standing beside the school–house poster is
919. (4) Apologise : to say that you are sorry for doing the right usage.
something wrong. 943. (1) Here, terrorism (Abstract Noun) of any degree
Here, aplogises is the right usage. or kind is the right usage.
920. (3) No improvement 944. (3) extension (N.) : an extra period of time.
Hanker after : to have a strong desire for something. Look at the sentence :
921. (1) Here, joint (Adjective) is the right usage. He has been granted an extension of the contract for
Joint = involving two or more people together. another year.
Hence, an extension is the right usage.
922. (3) As the structure suggests, Future Simple should
945. (3) through thick and thin (Id.) : even when there
be used here.
are problems or difficulties
Hence, otherwise you will is the right usage. Hence, through thick and thin is the right usage.