IMPROVEMENT OF SENTENCES
826. (2) Hence, to be there is the right usage. The Plural of equipment is equipment. Hence, Singular
827. (1) Simple Present is used in Conditional Sentences Verb – was is the right usage.
to show future time. 851. (1) No improvement
Hence, If I get an opportunity is the right usage. 852. (4) Gold is an Uncountable Noun (Material Noun).
828. (2) Here, played a fair (Adjective) game is the right It is not proper to use the before it.
usage. Hence, Gold will replace The gold.
829. (3) No Improvement 853. (1) difficult to do/understand/answer
830. (1) The sentence is in Past Simple (affirmative). Here, hard will replace hardly
Old things die hard means take a long time to change/
Question tag should be negative and in Simple past
end it — used in Present Tense
854. (3) It is Preposition related error.
Hence, didn’t we ? is the right usage.
to (prep.) is the right usage.
831. (3) It is position of words related error.
I took some grapes for my mother is the right sentence. l He is known to the police.
832. (4) Nod : to move your head. l He is known to be an outstanding physicist.
If you nod your head, you move your head up and 855. (3) wrest (Verb) : to take something such as power
down to show agreement. or control from something/somebody with great effort.
Here, nodded is the right usage. inherit (Verb) : to receive money, property, etc, from
833. (3) l She insisted on her being innocent. somebody when they die.
l She insisted that she was innocent is the right sen- swindle (Verb) : to cheat somebody in order to get
tence something, especially money, from them
834. (4) Here, Present Progressive (Active) should be Here, wrest will replace win.
used, not Passive Voice. 856. (3) No improvement
Hence, facing will replace being faced with 857. (1) hang : to kill somebody as a punishment.
835. (4) No Improvement Here, hanged is the right usage.
836. (3) As the structure suggests, nor does he smile is 858. (2) No improvement
the right usage. 859. (4) No improvement
837. (3) No Improvement (1) Shun (Verb) : to avoid somebody/something
838. (3) Blue whales were thriving in all of the world’s 860. (4) concatenated : linked together
oceans until the turn of the century is the right us- attached (Adjective) : joined to something.
Here, concatenated is the right usage.
839. (3) The sentence shows past time as ago has been
861. (4) with a view to should be followed by a Gerund,
not an Infinitive.
Hence, had to retrace is the right usage.
Hence, becoming is the right usage
840. (1) Keep/stay/steer clear : to avoid a person or thing
862. (3) found (Verb) is the Past Tense of find (V.)
because it may cause problems.
mostly (Adverb) : mainly, generally.
Hence, steer clear is the right usage.
founded is the incorrect usage.
841. (3) At the altar : because of something that you think
Hence, a bird found mostly is the right usage
is worth suffering for. Hence, before the altar is the
right usage. 863. (1) inspite of (Id.) : Despite
842. (1) Here, Past Simple (Passive)-commanded is the instead of (Id.) : in the place of somebody/some-
right usage. thing.
843. (2) Here, Subject (River Damodar) is Singular. in case of (Id.) : if something happens
Hence, carries the effluents is the right usage. in respect of (Id.) : concerning
844. (4) Here, Possessive i.e. like Kohima’s is the right Here, inspite of is the right usage.
usage. Climate can be compared with climate, not a 864. (2) surrender (Verb) : to allow yourself to be caught,
city. taken prisoner etc.
845. (4) No Improvement Here, surrendered is the right usage.
846. (1) Here, He was not able is the right usage. 865. (1) must is used to say that something is necessary
or very important.
847. (2) It is position related error.
Hence, must is the right usage.
l He only married her : He did nothing but married.
866. (2) credulous (Adjective) : too ready to believe things.
l He married her only for money : He married her
to take money and nothing else. credible (Adj.) : that can be believed/trusted
Hence, He married her only for her money is the creditable (Adj.) : admirable; praiseworthy
right usage. Here, credulous is the right usage.
867. (4) Here, Past Perfect should be used. The event re-
848. (3) It is Preposition related error.
lates to the past.
at (Prep.) is the right usage. Hence, who had killed is the right usage.
849. (4) No improvement 868. (3) dispose of something : to get rid of something
850. (3) Singular Subject agrees with a Singular Verb. that you do not want.
Equipment is an Uncountable Noun. Here, dispose of is the right usage.