IMPROVEMENT OF SENTENCES
10. (4) No improvement
many a (Det., Pro.) : a large number of
1. (2) Past Perfect Tense (had planned) will be used. used with a Singular Noun and Verb
Sentence structure is as follows : l Many a good man has been destroyed by drink.
Subject + Aux.V. + Main V. + Object 11. (3) higher (Adv.)
+ he had planned _____ the (Indef. Art.) is used in the Comparative Degree
Before we arrived at school the class had started
The structure is as follows :
the+Comparative Expression + Subject + Verb + the
Second action First action
Hence, had planned is the right usage. greater demand
2. (3) fewer (Det., Adj.) : not many ® used for Countable + Comparative Expression _____
Hence, no fewer is the right usage. higher
less (Det., Pro.) : a smaller amount of ® used for Un- Hence, the higher is the right usage.
countable Nouns 12. (1) prefer (Verb) : to like one thing or person better
No less than (Idiom) : used for emphasizing a large than another
amount A Prepositional Phrase with to will be used.
3. (3) outstretched (Adj.) : spread out as far as possible Hence, riding to walking is the right usage.
stretch out (Phr. V.) : to lie down in order to relax or 13. (2) demand (Verb) : to ask for something firmly
sleep Here, demanding is the right usage.
Here, outstretched in the ditch is the right usage. 14. (1) International News is compared to National News.
4. (1) presently (Adv.) : now ; currently; at the time you Hence, National is the right usage.
are speaking 15. (1) be angry with someone : to feel or express dis-
by this time : a particular allotted time pleasure
Here, presently is the right usage. be angry at something : to be irritated by
5. (1) cut down on (Phr. V.) : to reduce l angry at what somebody does
get rid of (Phr. V.) : to make yourself free of some- l angry with somebody about something or for doing
thing that is annoying or that you do not want or do something
not want to do Here, angry with is the right usage.
Here, cut down on is the right usage. 16. (3) back out (Phr.V.) : to withdraw from something
6. (3) irritates (Verb.) : to annoy somebody, especially Here, withdrew his support from is the right usage.
by something you continuously do or by something 17. (4) No improvement
that continuously happens who (Pro.) : used for showing which person you mean
incessant (Adj.) : never stopping ; constant 18. (1) neither (Adv.) : used for introducing a further neg-
annoys (Verb.) : to make some body slightly angry ; ative statement
irritates l He didn’t remember, and neither did I
Here, irritates is the right usage. Hence, neither did I is the right usage.
7. (1) Not only _____ but also are Correlative Conjunc- 19. (2) declined (Verb.) : refused politely to accept or to
tions. do something
Sentence structure is as follows : denied (Verb.) : said that something is not true
Not only + Aux. verb + Subject Here, declined is the right usage.
Not only + did + they 20. (1) don’t think so (Idiom) : used for saying very strong-
ly that you do not agree to something, or that some-
Hence, Not only did they go is the right usage.
thing is not possible
8. (3) The basic sentence structure is as follows : suspect (Verb.) : to be suspicious about something;
Subject ® Verb ® Object not to trust something
̄ ̄ Here, don’t think is the right usage.
fill the sweet notes 21. (2) return (Verb) : to come or go back from one place
Hence, fill the air by their sweet notes is the right to another
usage. return : turn back ® We had to return to the old
9. (3) power (Noun) : strength or influence in a particular
area of activity Here, you return from is the right usage.
giant (Noun) : a very large and powerful organisation 22. (1) to make a tag, the first Auxiliary (has) will be used.
Hence, hasn’t he ? is the right usage.
Here, power is the right usage.