IMPROVEMENT OF SENTENCES
1134. He confidently asked the crowd (3) been consulting (3) all of her three sisters
if they thought he was right and (4) No improvement (4) No improvement
the crowd shouted that they 1143. One of my drawbacks is that I 1151. Call in this evening, if you can,
did. did not have tolerance of I have something important to
(1) that he did ambiguity. discuss.
(2) that they had (1) did not had (1) called in
(3) that he is (2) do not have (2) call off
(4) No improvement (3) am not (3) call for
1135. The District Collector gave up (4) No improvement (4) No improvement
the prizes to the winners at the 1144. Before I could stop him, the boy 1152. No sooner had he entered the
end of the function. was throwing the box down the room when the lights went out
(1) give up stairs. and everybody began to scream.
(2) gave away (1) were throwing (1) than the lights went out
(3) gave back (2) threw (2) and the lights went out
(4) No improvement (3) did throw (3) then the lights went out
1136. The use of radar as well as two- (4) No improvement (4) No improvement
way radio paging make it 1145. The tea estate is in such a mess 1153. My father is suffering from
possible for State Police to there is no one to set things diabetes for the past three
intercept most speeders. right. years.
(1) makes it possible (1) in a mess there (1) is suffer
(2) allows the possibility (2) in a such mess that there (2) has been suffering
(3) making possible (3) in such a mess that there (3) has suffered
(4) No improvement (4) No improvement (4) No improvement
1137. However, great you may be, you 1146. I am sure that he has recovered 1154. The train was late for fifty
cannot trifle on a man’s feelings. from his illness and he will minutes.
(1) trifle along accompany us to the picnic (1) from
(2) trifle upon spot. (2) by
(3) trifle with (1) and he will company (3) around
(4) No improvement (2) and that he will accompany (4) No improvement
1138. The alarming report of the (3) but he will accompany 1155. I was shocked to learn that no
building collapse had everyone (4) No improvement one was knowing where the files
spellbound. 1147. Because of his ill health, the were kept.
(1) alarmed report doctor has advised him “not to (1) was known
(2) reporting alarm refrain” from smoking. (2) knew
(3) reported alarm (1) not to refrained (3) had been known
(4) No improvement (2) to resort to (4) No improvement
1139. One day you will repent on what (3) to refrain Directions (1156–1160) : In
you have done. (4) No improvement each of the following questions, a sen-
(1) into (2) for 1148. The moment the manager came tence/ a part of the sentence is print-
(3) about to know of the fraudulent action ed in bold. Four alternatives are given
(4) No improvement of his assistant, he order im- to the bold part which will improve
1140. If neither of them are to be mediately dismissed him. the sentence. Choose the correct alter-
trusted it is not at all advisable (1) order immediate dismissed native as your answer. In case no im-
to invest further. him provement is needed, choose the op-
(1) were to be trusted (2) ordered his immediate tion corresponding to “No improve-
(2) has to be trusted dismissal ment”.
(3) is to be trusted (3) immediately order dismissal (SSC CGL Tier-I (CBE)
of his Exam. 28.08.2016 (Ist sitting)
(4) No improvement
(4) No improvement 1156. She took the cycle which he
1141. The man who has committed bought yesterday.
such a serious crime must get 1149. They feel very proudly that
their team had won the match. (1) that he bought yesterday
the mostly severe punishment.
(1) feels very proud (2) that he had bought yesterday
(1) got the mostly severely
(2) felt very pride (3) that he has bought yesterday
(2) get the most severe
(3) felt very proud (4) No Improvement
(3) have got the most severely
(4) No improvement 1157. I must say to a feeling of
(4) No improvement
1142. I have been telling her that she 1150. She was more beautiful than
either of her three sisters. (1) confess
better consulted a good doctor.
(1) either of her three sister (2) connive
(2) any of her three sisters (3) utter
(4) No Improvement