IMPROVEMENT OF SENTENCES
634. This crime makes a man liable 642. Our big iron gate jingles on its 649. The report highlights a number
for transportation till his life. hinges as it is opened. of instance of injustice.
(1) to transportation to life (1) clangs (2) grates (1) highlight a number of instanc-
(2) for transportation for life (3) bangs (4) No improvement es of injustice
(3) to transportation for life 643. Although other parts the world (2) highlights a numbers of in-
(4) No improvement 20 per cent of the farm area is stances of injustice
635. I don’t think many people will be owned by women, in India wom- (3) highlights a number of in-
able to attend the meeting tomor- en own less than 7 per cent. stances of injustice
row. I, but for one, have to be (1) If in other parts of (4) No improvement
in Chennai. (2) However some parts of 650. He was for a time our captain.
(1) so for one (1) for sometime
(3) While in other parts of
(2) rather for one (2) once
(4) No improvement
(3) for one (3) at any time
Directions (644-653) : In the fol-
(4) No improvement (4) No improvement
lowing questions, a sentence/ part of
636. My visits to my family are a few 651. He made the utmost effort to
the sentence is printed in bold. Below
and far between. save us.
are given alternatives to the bold sen-
(1) few and a far between tence/part of the sentence at (1), (2) (1) an all-out
(2) few and far between and (3) which may improve the sen- (2) an altered
(3) few or far between tence. Choose the correct alternative. (3) an intentional
(4) No improvement In case no improvement is needed, (4) No improvement
637. Their friendship will not last your answer is (4). 652. He belongs to a rich family.
through long time. (SSC GL Tier-I Exam. 19.10.2014) (1) a well-to-do family
(1) last through a long time 644. The visitors arrived at a lucky (2) an upper class family
(2) last through moment. (3) a well-known family
(3) last long (1) an opportunistic (4) No improvement
(4) No improvement (2) an opportunity 653. Suraj looked at Sunil with a
638. All these articles are kept in a
(3) an opportune question.
tin box to prevent from spoil-
ing of damp in rainy season. (4) No improvement (1) questioningly
(1) prevent them from spoiling 645. ’The government can see scarce- (2) questionably
by damp ly any valid reason to launch (3) wistfully
(2) prevent them being spoiled an inquiry. (4) No improvement
by damp (1) cannot scarcely see any val- Directions (654-663) : In the
(3) prevent them from spoiling of id reason following questions, a part of the
damp (2) can see any valid reason sentence is printed in bold. Below are
(4) No improvement scarcely given alternatives to the bold part at
639. Your previous project was only (3) can scarcely see any valid (1), (2), (3) which may improve the
failed because you did not per- reason sentenc e. Cho ose the correct
severe yourself in it. (4) No improvement alternative. In case no improvement
(1) failed only because you did 646. Henry is taking John for tea. is needed your answer is (4).
not persevere. (SSC CGL Tier-I Exam. 26.10.2014)
(1) taking John on tea
(2) failed only because you did 654. Ram filled ink into his pen be-
(2) taking John to tea
not persevere for it. fore leaving for school.
(3) taking John at tea
(3) only failed because you did (1) filled ink in his pen
(4) No improvement (2) filled ink on his pen
647. The medicines made miracles (3) filled his pen with ink
(4) No improvement
and healed me in two days.
640. I had more sympathy with you, (4) No improvement
my friend. (1) The medicines brought mira- 655. The toys he bought for Suzy are
cles too good to be cheap.
(1) have a more sympathy
(2) have much sympathy (2) The medicines worked mira- (1) are so much good to be cheap
(3) had much sympathy (2) were so good to be cheap
(4) No improvement (3) The medicine performed mir- (3) are so good that to be cheap
641. The bank manager was given a (4) No improvement
holiday and so he resolved to go (4) No improvement
656. I did one mistake in the dicta-
for hitch-hiking. 648. Any of these two books is good. tion test today.
(1) with hitch-hiking (1) Any of this (1) I made a mistake in
(2) for the hitch-hiking (2) Either of these (2) I did a mistake at
(3) hitch-hiking (3) Any other of this . (3) I did a mistake in
(4) No improvement (4) No improvement (4) No improvement