IMPROVEMENT OF SENTENCES
465. The starving and crawling people 473. The more they earn, more they 479. While crossing the highway, a five
in the television programme spend on luxury items. year old child was knocked out
looked more like beasts than (1) more they should spend by a passing car.
tiring creatures. (1) away (2) up
(2) the more they spend
(1) posed (2) resembled
(3) the more they ought to spend (3) down (4) No improvement
(3) seemed (4) No improvement
466. I took the cycle which he bought (4) No improvement 480. We are looking forward to see
yesterday. 474. You have come here with a view you tomorrow.
(1) that he bought yesterday. to insult me. (1) looki ng fo rward towards
(2) which he h ad bought (1) to insulting me seeing
yesterday. (2) of insulting me (2) looking forward for seeing
(3) that he has bought yesterday. (3) for insulting me (3) looking forward to seeing
(4) No improvement (4) No improvement (4) No improvement
467. Having only a few hours left, she 475. A little rail-road engine was 481. The clients are waiting outside
wondered as she would finish employed by a station yard for since morning and will continue
doing small pieces of work. to wait until you meet them.
(1) that if (2) whether
(1) was made by a station yard (1) have waited
(3) that (4) No improvement
(2) was used at the station yard (2) have been waiting
Directions (468-477) : In the
following questions, a sentence/ part (3) was employed at the station yard (3) were waiting
of the sentence is printed in bold. (4) No improvement (4) No improvement
Below are given alternatives to the bold 476. From an aesthetic point of
482. The workers are hell bent at
sentence/part of the sentence at (1), view, the painting did not getting what is due to them.
(2) and (3) which may improve the appeal to me.
sentence. Choose the correct (1) hell bent on getting
(1) From the viewpoint of
alternative. In case no improvement is (2) hell bent for getting
aesthetics, the painting did
needed, your answer is (4). (3) hell bent upon getting
not appeal to me
(SSC Graduate Level Tier-I
(2) The painting had no aesthetic (4) No improvement
Exam. 21.04.2013, IInd Sitting)
appeal to me 483. During his long discourse, he did
468. It became clear that the strangers
were heading into a serious (3) From an aesthetic point of not touch that point.
disaster. view, the painting had a little (1) touch upon
(1) along (2) towards appeal to me (2) touch in
(3) on (4) No improvement (4) No improvement (3) touch of
469. Twenty kms are not a great 477. The child tossed in bed burning (4) No improvement
distance in these days of fast with fever. 484. They could not tell me why did
(1) The child in bed, burning he not eat his lunch.
(1) is not a great distance
with fever tossed (1) why not had he eaten
(2) are not too great a distance
(2) The child burning with fever, (2) why he did not eat
(3) aren’t proving a great distance
tossed in bed
(4) No improvement (3) why had he not eaten
470. I adapted a new method to solve (3) The child burning in bed
(4) No improvement
the problem. tossed with fever
485. He who will bid the highest will
(1) I have been adopted (4) No improvement
get the product.
(2) I adopted Directions (478-487) : In the
(1) who bids the highest
(3) I was adapted following questions, a sentence/ part
of the sentence is printed in bold. (2) who the highest bids
(4) No improvement
471. Hoping not to be disturbed, I sat Below are given alternatives to the bold (3) who would bid the highest
down in my easy chair to read sentence/part of the sentence at (1), (4) No improvement
the book, I won as a prize. (2) and (3) which may improve the 486. If he had time he will call you.
(1) I had won as a prize sentence. Choose the correct (1) would have
(2) I have won as prize alternative. In case no improvement is (2) would have had
(3) I had to win as a prize needed your answer is (4). (3) has
(4) No improvement (SSC Combined Graduate Level Tier-I
472. If you are living near a market (4) No improvement
place you should be ready to bear 487. John had told me that he hasn’t
478. He may have grown taller when I
the disturbances caused by done it yet.
last saw him.
traffic. (1) told
(1) from when I last saw him
(1) to bear upon (2) tells
(2) to bear with (2) since I last saw him
(3) before I last saw him (3) was telling
(3) to bear away
(4) No improvement (4) No improvement
(4) No improvement