IMPROVEMENT OF SENTENCES
194. Most of the non-Western countries 201. The man whom I thought was 206. What do you for go to school ?
have been subject either to total thoroughly honest proved to be a (1) For what do you go to school?
colonial rule or varying degrees of swindler. (2) What do you go for to school?
economic control and their native (1) The man whom I thought was (3) What do you go to school for?
population has either been de- thoroughly honest proved a
(4) No improvement
stroyed or Westernised. swindler.
207. He pleased the directors and this
(1) has been subject to either (2) The man who I thought was
thoroughly honest proved to completed his report in good time.
(2) either have been subject to
be a swindler. (1) He pleased the directors in
(3) have been either subjected to good time and this completed
(3) The man to whom I thought
(4) No improvement his report.
was thoroughly honest proved
195. Strenuous as it was, they went to be a swindler, (2) He completed his report in
on with their task. good time and this pleased the
(4) No improvement
(1) since it was 202. No sooner had the dividend been directors.
(2) because it was declared, the notices were sent (3) He pleased the directors and
(3) although it was out. completed his report and this
(4) No improvement (1) The company had hardly in good time.
Directions (196–200) : In the fol- declared the dividend till the (4) No improvement
lowing questions, a part of the sentence notices were sent for mailing. 208. The courtiers used to tell the King
is printed in bold. Below are given al- (2) They had no sooner declared how efficient an administrator he
ternatives to the bold part at (1), (2) the dividend then the notices was all day long.
and (3) which may improve the sen- were sent out.
(1) The courtiers all day long used
tence. Choose the correct alternative. (3) Hardly had the dividend been
to tell the King how efficient
In case no improvement is needed declared when the notices
were sent out. an administrator he was.
your answer is (4).
(4) No improvement (2) The courtiers used all day long
(SSC CPO Sub-Inspector
Exam. 12.12.2010 203. Riding upon his horse, the tiger to tell the King how efficient
196. The strong breeze blew his hat jumped at him. an administrator he was.
away. (1) Riding upon the tiger, the (3) The courtiers used to tell the
(1) The strong air horse jumped at him. King all day long how efficient
(2) The strong breath (2) The tiger jumped at him while an administrator he was.
(3) The strong wind he was riding upon his horse. (4) No improvement
(4) No improvement (3) The tiger rode at him while 209. Every Saturday I go out for shop-
he was jumping upon his ping.
197. The Japanese are hardly work-
horse. (1) for shops.
(4) No improvement (2) to shopping
(1) a hard working people
204. I, in black and white must have (3) for shop
(2) a hardly working people
your terms down.
(3) hard working people (4) No improvement
(1) I must have in black and white
(4) No improvement 210. We had a grand party and we
your terms down.
198. The monkey was seated at the enjoyed very much.
(2) I must have your terms in
foot of a tree. black and white down. (1) We had a grand party and
(1) bottom (2) end (3) I must have your terms down, enjoyed very much.
(3) root (4) No improvement in black and white. (2) We had a grand party to en-
199. My father lives on Delhi. (4) No improvement joy very much.
(1) in Delhi 205. When we came out of the res- (3) We had a grand party and we
(2) at Delhi taurant it was half past eleven. enjoyed ourselves very much.
(3) inside Delhi (1) When we had come out of the (4) No improvement
(4) No improvement restaurant Directions (211-215) : In the fol-
200. He will come instantaneously. (2) After we came o ut of the lowing questions, a sentence or bold
restaurant part thereof is given which may need
(1) just now (2) presently
(3) When we have come out of improvement. Alternatives ae given at
(3) instantly (4) No improvement
the restaurant (1), (2) and (3) below, which may be a
Directions (201-205) : In ques-
(4) No improvement better option. In case no improvement
tions, a sentence or bold part thereof
Directions (206–210) : In the fol- is needed, your answer is (4).
is given which may need improvement.
lowing questions, a sentence is given (SSC Combined Graduate Level Tier-I
Alternatives ae given at (1), (2) and (3)
which/a part of which may need im- Exam. 26.06.2011 (First Sitting)
below, which may be a better option. provement. Alternatives are given at (1),
In case no improvement is needed, 211. He has for good left India.
(2) and (3) which may be a better op-
your answer is (4). (1) He has left for good India.
tion. In case no improvement is need-
(SSC Combined Graduate Level ed your answer is (4). (2) He has left India for good.
Tier-I Exam. 19.06.2011 (SSC Combined Graduate Level Tier-I (3) Good he has left India.
(First Sitting) Exam. 19.06.2011 (Second Sitting) (4) No improvement