IMPROVEMENT OF SENTENCES
125. He paid the caretaker for his (2) but perhaps the best one is : (1) They take their children for a
board and lodging. “Style is the man.” drive always in the charming
(1) Room (2) Furniture (3) but the best one is : “Style is countryside around Banga-
(3) Boarding (4) No improvement the man.” lore.
Directions (126-135): In the (4) No improvement (2) They take their children al-
following questions a part of the 134. They have bought a new car, ways for a drive in the charm-
sentence is given in bold. Below are isn’t it ? ing countryside around Ban-
given alternatives to the bold part at (1) haven’t they ? galore.
(1), (2) and (3) which may inprove the (2) don’t they ? (3) They always take their chil-
sentence. Choose the correct alternative. (3) have they ? dren for a drive in the charm-
In case no improvement is needed your (4) No improvement ing countryside around Ban-
answer is (4). 135. Only a few persons can stand on galore.
(SSC Section Officer (Commercial Audit) entreaties. (4) No improvement
Exam. 30.09.2007 (1) against (2) with 140. To prevent head colds, use a neb-
126. I had my ears bored, so I could (3) in (4) No improvement ulizer to spray into your nose until
wear my diamond ear-rings. Directions (136-140) : In the fol- it drops down into your throat.
(1) holed (2) pricked lowing questions, a sentence is given (1) To prevent head colds, use a
(3) pierced (4) No improvement which may need improvement. Alterna- nebulizer to spray into your
127. It is interesting to correspond the tives are given at (1), (2) and (3) below nose until the drug drops
history of the 19th century with which may be a better option. In case down into your throat.
its literature. no improvement is needed, your answer
(2) To prevent head colds, use a
(1) corroborate nebulizer to spray into your
(SSC Tax Assistant (Income Tax &
(2) correlate throat until it drops down into
Central Excise) Exam. 25.11.2007)
(3) command your nose.
136. I sent him a letter to return the
(4) No improvement (3) To prevent head colds, use a
car by registered post.
128. Didn’t Mr. Sharma come to the nebulizer to spray into your
(1) I sent him a letter by regis-
office yet ? nose until your throat drops
tered post asking him to re-
(1) Hadn’t (2) Hasn’t down into it.
turn the car.
(3) Isn’t (4) No improvement (2) I sent by registered post him (4) No improvement
129. He can’t read this, nor can I. a letter to return the car. Directions (141-150) : In follow-
(1) no, I never can (3) I sent him a letter by regis- ing questions, a part of the sentence is
(2) no, I can’t tered post to return the car. in bold. Below are given alternatives
(3) no, I don’t (4) No improvement to the bold part at (1), (2) and (3) which
137. Covered with grease, the water may improve the sentence. Choose the
(4) No improvement
did not seem unduly cold to the correct alternative. In case no improve-
130. I bought four dozen mangoes.
swimmer. ment is needed, your answer is (4).
(1) dozens of mango
(1) As he was covered with (SSC Section Officer (Audit)
(2) dozens of mangoes Exam. 06.01.2008)
grease, the water did not
(3) dozens mangoes 141. He declined all the allegations
seem unduly cold to the swim-
(4) No improvement mer. against him.
131. The master was good at using (2) As it was covered with grease, (1) spurned (2) refused
pleasant names for unpleasant the water did not seem undu- (3) refuted (4) No improvement
things in order to hoodwink the ly cold to the swimmer.
labourers. 142. It is time we leave.
(3) As it was covered with water,
(1) euphemisms (1) left
the grease did not seem un-
(2) euphoria duly cold to the swimmer. (2) have to leave
(3) pleasantries (4) No improvement (3) would leave
(4) No improvement 138. The old woman gave her dog bis- (4) No improvement
132. They had to put off until later cuits. 143. We spent an hour discussing
the open-air performance (1) The old woman gave biscuits about his character.
because of heavy rain. to her dog. (1) his character
(1) postpone (2) delay (2) The old woman was given bis- (2) on his character
(3) adjourn (4) No improvement cuits by her dog. (3) upon his character
133. Dozens of phrases can be offered (3) She gave the old woman dog
(4) No Improvement
to describe style but perhaps the biscuits.
144. After the letter reached me, I
best one is : “Style – it is the (4) No improvement shall know the result.
man.” 139. They take their children for a (1) After the letter reaches
(1) but the best one is : “Style – drive in the charming countryside
it is the man.” around Bangalore always. (2) After the letter will reach