IMPROVEMENT OF SENTENCES
Directions (51 – 55) : In the fol- 58. What does it matter most is the 67. The help given to us was more
lowing questions, a part of the sentence quality of the goods that we re- adequate for our purpose.
is bold. Below are given alternatives quire. (1) much adequate
to the bold part at (1), (2) and (3) which (1) What it matters more (2) enough adequate
may improve the sentence. Choose the (2) What does it matter more (3) more than adequate
correct alternative. In case no improve- (4) No improvement
(3) What matters most
ment is needed, your answer is (4). 68. Quite the most remarkable article
(4) No improvement
(SSC Tex Assistant (Income Tax & we ever remember to have read.
Central Excise) Exam. 05.12.2004) 59. You called on me when I was not
(1) ever remarkable article we re-
51. If I am the P.M. I would ban all at home, don’t you ? member to have read.
processions. (1) did you ? (2) didn’t you ? (2) remarkable article we remem-
(1) will be (2) were (3) didn’t I ? (4) No improvement ber ever to have read.
(3) am (4) No improvement 60. He paid the caretaker for his (3) remarkable ever article we re-
52. Mrs. Madhuri has great respect board and lodging. member to have read.
and unlimited faith in her Direc- (1) room (2) furniture (4) No improvement
tor. (3) boarding (4) No improvement 69. You won’t tell them what has hap-
(1) respect and unlimited faith for pened, wouldn’t you ?
Directions (61-70) : In the fol-
(2) respect for and unlimited faith (1) won’t you ?
lowing questions, a part of the sentence
for (2) isn’t it ?
is printed in bold. Below are given al-
(3) respect for and unlimited faith (3) will you ?
ternatives to the bold part at 1, 2 and
in (4) No improvement
3 which may improve the sentence.
(4) respect in and unlimited faith 70. She doesn’t mind to be disturbed.
Choose the correct alternative. In case
for (1) being disturbed
no improvement is needed, your an-
53. He is addicted to smoke. (2) to being disturbed
swer is (4).
(1) addicted to smoking (3) being disturbing
(SSC Statistical Investigators
(2) used to smoke (4) No improvement
Grade-IV Exam. 31.7.2005)
(3) addicted of smoking Directions (71–80) : In the
61. It’s high time that you go home.
(4) addicted with smoking following questions, a part of the
(1) have gone(2) should go sentence is in bold. Below are given
54. Write down the address lest you
(3) went (4) No improvement alternatives to the bold part at (1), (2)
62. It is proposed to construct a bath and (3) which may imp rove the
(1) you may not forget
for males 99-feet long. sentence. Choose the correct
(2) you cannot forget alternative. In case no improvement is
(3) you will forget (1) a 99-feet long bath for males
needed, your answer is (4).
(4) you should forget (2) a 99-feet long males bath (SSC Section Officer (Commercial Audit)
55. We used to get up early in the (3) a males bath 99-feet long Exam. 25.09.2005)
morning, have breakfast and then (4) No improvement 71. By this time tomorrow, I will
went out to play. 63. Corrupt officials have siphoned off reach my home.
(1) go out to play more than five hundred crore ru- (1) will be reaching
(2) gone out to play pees over the last decade from wel-
(2) shall have reached
(3) had gone out to play fare funds.
(4) played (3) can reach
(1) away (2) up
Directions (56–60) : In the (4) No improvement
(3) in (4) No improvement
followiing questions, a part of the 72. He was so afraid that his knees
64. They are migratory workers from knocked one another.
sentence is in bold. Below are given another country.
alternatives to the bold part at 1, 2 (1) one against
(1) immigrant(2) itinerant (2) each other
and 3 which may improve the sentence.
Choose the correct alter native. In case (3) emigrant (4) No improvement (3) both
no impro vement is needed, yo ur 65. Neither I nor my friend live here. (4) No improvement
answer is (4). (1) neither I do nor does my friend 73. They only work when they have
(SSC Section Officer (Audit) (2) neither do I nor does my friend no money.
Exam. 05.06.2005) (3) neither I live nor does my friend (1) when they have no money,
56. Can this machine be adopted in they only work
(4) No improvement
farm work. (2) when they only work they have
66. He is the poorest of the two work-
(1) by (2) into no money
(3) for (4) No improvement (3) they work only when they have
57. The driver was dazzled by the (1) the poorer of
bright light of approaching car. (2) the poorest between
(4) No improvement.
(1) twinkled (2) flashed (3) poorest of
74. When we saw him last, he ran to
(3) glowed (4) No improvement (4) No improvement catch a bus.